The Cox Crew

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How I Met Your Father


I was attending UNLV and the LDS Institute of Religion, involved with classes and activities there. The institute was the hangout place in between classes at school. A lot of study time was wasted playing games and talking with friends. The fall semester of 1985 was pretty much the same as any other semester. I got to know the other students and was comfortable talking with them. There was this one guy that I noticed started joining in the conversations and talking with us. He had a good sense of humor. He asked me if I wanted to play ping pong with him. I guess he enjoyed getting beat, because he asked me quite a bit to play.He did end up asking me out that first time while I was sick. I guess I was really delirious because I said that I would go with him. I remember after he asked me that I told him about my dog named cigarette. I mentioned that he didn’t have any arms or legs and every night I would take him out for a drag. LOL! Steve thought I was serious at first, but I started laughing. Then he figured out I was kidding.


Well we started dating and I remember once we went over to the student union and were walking back to the institute and Steve starting cutting across the grass and I told him to get off of the grass because it was trying to grow. LOL! He thought I was serious again! I must say that I was impressed because I kept teasing him and he kept coming back for more.



Steve thought he was very careful about locking his doors on his truck at the institute. But I had pre-arranged with his sister Angie (who was going to school as well) to keep the passenger door unlocked this one particular day, (Steve’s birthday). So while he was in class, I loaded his truck with balloons and a giant chocolate chip cookie. He was very surprised and I think a bit mad at himself for not double checking his door. But I think he was very impressed that I was able to pull that off.

Without either of us knowing, we ended up doing the twelve days of Christmas to each other. It got a bit hectic at times trying to figure out when he would be home, because he was trying to figure out when I would be home. For the second day I made a snowman ornament out of 2 ping pong balls. Well he ended up keeping it (surprise) and it hangs on our Christmas tree every year. (You can say Aaaaaw).

Steve is right about the shooting thing. I do shoot better then him and I remind him often enough. I refuse to play the part of a wimpy female. The spider thing is also correct. I don’t get scared of spiders. I have to admit Steve was a little slow at first. I was wondering if we were just going to be friends, but then he finally asked me if he could hold my hand. I think it took two and a half months. Then two weeks later he got up the nerve to kiss me. Well from then on he has moved pretty fast. Two weeks later, he asked me to marry him. I think I need to tell you that whole story.




It was Saturday night, February 1st. Steve invited me to go with him to his Stake Conference because a relative, Robert E. Wells, a general authority was speaking. After the meeting we along with Steve’s parents approached him to meet him and say hello. Well Steve introduced me to Elder Wells as a friend. I was thinking to myself that at this point I am more than a friend. He drove me home and then we took a walk around the neighborhood. Back then, the hood was safe. If I remember right, we walked around the block 2 times and then ended up back at my house the whole time Steve telling me how much I meant to him. We were standing there in my driveway, and he finally pops the question. I remind him often that I was just a friend and then he asks me to marry him all in the same night. But I couldn’t refuse, he was just soooo darn cute and I loved all of his thick wavy hair.


It has been almost 24 years of wedded bliss. Well not all of the time. But it sure has been an adventure. We are committed to each other (or need to be committed) one of the two. Steve has treated me like a queen and has shown our children how to treat a wife and mother. I am most grateful for that. There is never a dull moment where Steve is concerned. I have memorized all of his stories but wouldn’t trade that for the world. He is my life and my best friend.

This is cliché, but if I knew then what I know now, things would have been much different. But I guess I wouldn’t trade all of those experiences anyway, because I have learned way too much. Steve has been there for me every step of the way. I have become a much more strong and confident person because of his help and faith in me, and I believe we can accomplish anything that we do together.





















No comments:

Post a Comment